Monday 22 December 2014

Wrapping Christmas presents, Marianne Faithfull sings Callooh callay ...



Yesterday evening, we finished wrapping the Christmas presents - 

Earlier, whilst making the fire, I'd listened to some spare jazz - I'd placed lichened apple logs upon a nest of pine cones - white ash powdered my finger tips - the wind sighed in the chimney - 

We drank a bumper each of Hopping Hare

Anne said even a shirt looks interesting and special when you've wrapped it up

I remembered then all my boyhood awakenings on Christmas Day - I'd reach out with slender arms for my pillow case of stocking presents - 

My new watch would say five thirty in the morning - Gosport would still be a dark mysterious kingdom - 

I'd tear off the gaudy paper covering a Letts Diary or a yellow Arrow paperback - I'd savour the anticipation of going downstairs

The joy of a present for me was that second of wonderful hesitation before I removed its wrapping - 

Presents, I thought, were just like bright promises - 

Callooh callay! sang Marianne Faithfull - 

I sat before the hissing flames, taking comfort in that golden voice - 


21.00
December 21 2014

The Old School House
Isle of Purbeck
Dorset



No comments:

Post a Comment