Thursday 4 December 2014

The Breeches Bible opened at Genesis, Chapter 3 ...


I fell upon my full English in The Old Rectory with gusto, spearing the Cumberland sausage like a nimble retiarius - I admired the white linen tablecloth, the precise geometry of cruets and upturned coffee cups -

Later, a taxi driver with a pony tail would take us back to Carlisle - there, we would part - each of us would return to their own world - 

I would be meeting Jay in Bloomsbury - I could already see myself, gazing at the statue of Virginia Wolf in Tavistock Square - 

Penny and I decided to walk one last time around the village - 

In my notebook I wrote - we saw Coverdale's Breeches Bible in the church

We'd pushed open the dark heavy door of the church - the Bible was opened at Genesis, Chapter 3 - 

The woman seduced by the serpent I read - Man is cast out of Paradise


08.45
July 16 2014

St Michael's Church
Bowness on Solway


No comments:

Post a Comment