Sunday 21 December 2014

At the hand car wash ...




I'm sitting in the waiting room of the Sandford Hand Car Wash - perky Christmas pop is playing on the radio - there's a small Christmas tree placed upon a table of magazines - 

Outside, amiable Serbs are jet washing white vans - the red Peugeot is next in line - 

This is the first time I've ever made use of a hand car wash - 

Sophie had told me that in Lewisham, dreadlocked dudes would wax Mikey's customized Golf - 

In Boscombe, I'd seen shaven headed bravos cleaning windscreens - 

I'd felt nervous, watching the scouring jets of water, hearing new words, dodging mud filigreed Isuzu Troopers - 

But now, here I am, watching the Serbs - 

Noddy Holder is singing Well here it is, Merry Christmas, everybody's having fun

One of the Serbs turns down the radio - 

It is good he says - at Christmas, everyone wants a clean car

I accept the gift of an air freshener for the Peugeot -


12.30
December 21 2014

Sandford
near Wareham


No comments:

Post a Comment