Monday 15 December 2014

The High Diving Board ...




Today my dad agreed to have milk in his coffee - for years he's thought that milk was bad for him - 

My Aunt Sylvie rang to say that Bill had died - brother Bill was ninety-three my dad kept saying -

Bill is the oldest of the brothers, next is George, who's ninety - 

George has got his own chair in The Legion - 

I remembered my dad saying that as you got older, it was like climbing up the steps of a high diving board - 

You follow behind the other chaps - then it's your turn he'd said - 

I saw the photograph we'd taken of my dad last Armistice Day - 

He's wearing a beautiful navy blue suit - he's smiling, just returned from St Faiths - 

I'll think of that photograph when tenderness floods my heart - 


16.00
December 15 2014

Staunton Road 
Havant

No comments:

Post a Comment