Sunday 28 December 2014

Playing bar billiards ...



We walked under an icy blue black sky to The Henty Arms - each side of the 
dark road were silent bungalows - TVs shone in warm lounges - our long shadows danced before us - a freezing wind chilled my ears - remote stars cast their ancient light - 

I felt tipsy after the bumpers of Freixenet - Matthew and Joe sported splendid beards - 

We'd driven to Ferring to see Sally and Richard - the drive from Havant had taken just over half an hour - 

A hot tub steamed on the patio - whilst we were playing bar billiards, Anne, Sally, Sophie and Tessa lolled in the scalding water - 

Do you know bar billiards? Richard had asked me - 

I'd played bar billiards very badly years before - I'd called my team The Crocs - once again I toppled pegs, wiping out my score - Joe and Matthew scored over six hundred before the bar went down - 

Rugby was being screened on the pub TV - a sinewy woman asked me not to impede her view - a man sat with his dog by his side watching us play - 

We're no good Richard grinned - 


18.00
December 27 2014

The Henty Arms
Ferring


No comments:

Post a Comment