Friday 19 December 2014

A Southsea garden of earthly delights ...



Late one Autumn afternoon, I followed Richard through silent avenues in Southsea - 

We passed Victorian villas screened by laurel - wisteria covered sun warmed walls - wrought iron gates guarded secret gardens - I caught glimpses of soft lawns and sundials - flowers glowed in a delicate vase - 

Richard led me away from these serene crescents, northwards towards Albert Road - 

We approached a park where drinkers gathered - there were empty bottles under the plane trees - 

I'd met Annick here once - she had a bedsit across the road -  

Annick's hennaed hair smelled of smoke - we talked about our gaudy nights - she was still wearing her barbaric bracelet - 

I turned to see some street art - four glorious exotic heads gazed across the park - 

I pictured the garden of earthly delights they came from - I remembered a field of ripe wheat, J J Cale singing Magnolia


17.00
September 14 2014

Southsea



No comments:

Post a Comment