Wednesday 8 October 2014

Surprised by joy ...



Sitting in the garden, my Mont Blanc fountain pen in my hand like a wizard's wand, I thought of Wordsworth's sonnet, Surprised by joy

It was after sunset - there was a half moon in the flawless sky - the fir trees bordering the churchyard were like strange sculptures -

We had been gifted with a September fit for a Ray Bradbury short story - perhaps a young witch might be in the church tower, dancing from one soul to another -

I recited the opening lines of the sonnet under the lichened apple tree -

Anne said of my parents this has been their golden summer

Now the time of rain and snow was coming - 

In my heart, joy and sorrow were intermingled - 


18.30
September 24 2014

Under the apple tree 
The Old School House
East Stoke








2 comments:

  1. Wasn't September more like a prelude to a Ballard story: The Drought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the cover of my Penguin paperback - a big finned American landship, half buried in orangey yellow sand!

    ReplyDelete