Tuesday 14 October 2014

Sitting inside the porch of St Mary's Church, Beaumont ...








Our path to Beaumont took us past a field of maize - the dark green plants were higher than my head - I lingered there for a while, whilst my companions walked on - 

I was drawn into the field, brushing against the thick creaking stems - chill leaves touched my face - I felt that something terrifying yet wonderful was about to happen - 

Later, we saw two swans in a weed choked pond - a hollow was brimming with Forget-Me-Nots -

We sat inside the porch of St Mary's Church - a man with a scarlet face told us that the church was built of stone from the Wall - the path you're walking on is on the Wall he said - 

The gravestones in the churchyard were tilting lichened shards - one read In memory of William Norman of Beaumont - He died May 20 1780 aged 74 years - Also of Margaret his wife she died 1752 aged 52 years

The interior of the church was full of light - the walls were white - 

From the churchyard, I could see the mountains beyond the Solway Firth - clouds filled the sky -


10.55
July 14 204

St Mary's Church
Beaumont

Note 

The church was built in 1296 on the site of a turret on Hadrian's Wall








No comments:

Post a Comment