Sunday 19 October 2014

My dad's stopped painting and compiling crosswords ...



There was a time when my dad painted watercolours - he also composed crosswords for the parish magazine - 

Above the flat screen Sony Bravia, there's a watercolour of Corfe Castle, and in the hallway, two of the Royal Yacht - 

My dad worked in the Drawing Office in Portsmouth Dockyard after he left the Navy - he'd take the ferry every day from Gosport to Portsmouth - 

Once I'd passed my driving test, I would meet him at Holy Trinity Church in the Vauxhall Viva, taking him home after work - my chain smoking instructor taught me how to drive in a crumpled Hillman Hunter - 

My dad's stopped painting now - he's put to one side his Oxford Compact Thesaurus

He takes out four library books every week, usually hard boiled tec yarns, featuring lean PIs with troubled pasts - 

Sometimes, though, he'll look up from his armchair - he'll recite perfectly Auden's  As I walked out  one evening, down Bristol Street

His eyes will glisten with tears - my heart will ache - 

21.50
October 19 2014

My mum and dad's house
Staunton Road
Havant




No comments:

Post a Comment