Sunday 5 October 2014

Hats ...



Leaving my parents' house for the twenty four hour Tesco, I passed a row of hats in the hallway, under the ships' crests - 

There were my mum's two woollen berets - there were my dad's two flat caps - 

I thought of how I'd seen my dad, on his way into Havant, wearing his cap - I'd be walking behind him - my mum would be pushing the sholley - she'd be wearing her beret - 

How many times had I seen them walking up West Street? I knew every detail of the street, every hedge, every parked car, every pebble dashed house -

How many more times would I accompany them to Wilcos, I thought - how many more times would my dad reach for his can of Tanglefoot?

I left the house, walking briskly, keeping up with Anne -

Later, I found great comfort lying beside her, sharing a secret world - 

19.30
Friday 3 October 2014

Staunton Road
Havant 


No comments:

Post a Comment