Tuesday 7 October 2014

Floods and young footballing gods ...



Seeking a hole in the wall, I walked down a canyon of guest houses - I passed a pub called The Bee Hive - I knew that I would have to be in deep cover to drink Spun Gold there -

I gazed at Carlisle United's stadium - there was a statue of a young footballing god outside the gates - 

Warwick Road was an invisible river of diesel fumes - 

The hole in the wall was outside a Fort Apache newsagents - 

That morning, we'd heard about the flood - I was admiring a noble full English

Our landlady fixed us with the mesmerising stare of an Ancient Mariner -  

We were all in bed she said - I heard a police siren, going on and on - it was after midnight - I went downstairs - I looked out of the window - there was water everywhere - it just came in - more and more of it - it was all dark - there were no lights

That bridge you came over - that was completely under - the biscuit factory was flooded to the roof - the night shift was on at the time - all their cars were floating away

There was one old lady drowned down the road - two other people were killed  

We were shown a photograph of Warwick Road, each Victorian mansion like an ornate stone reef, lapped by a dark lagoon - 

We got it all spanking new afterwards - the insurance you see - some good came of it


09.00
July 14 2014

Courtfield Guest House
Carlisle

No comments:

Post a Comment