Monday 20 October 2014

Remembering my Grandad, William Bradey ...




Inside the pale blue Milady's biscuit tin, behind the sideboard, there's a photograph of my dad's parents - 

My grandad's name was William - he was a Blacksmith in Portsmouth Dockyard - he was a fire watcher during the Second World War, scanning night skies for the heavily laden bombers,  tracing their paths over the narrow terraces of Stamshaw and Rudmore -  

My dad said that there were always magazines and books in the house, The Listener, The New Statesman, a clutch of H G Wells -

There was a Gasometer at the end of Town View - men and boys would gamble under the coal berth gantries on the foreshore - on a wall was painted God Save The King -

I can remember that my Grandad had a soft, calm, voice - when I saw him, he was always kind and gentle - I can remember the warm dark house, my Uncle Dennis about to play football with a local league - 

I feel very sad that I did not do enough to get to know my Grandad, or to speak with him - I was a skinny nervy boy, too shy to get close to him - 

But looking at the photograph, I try my best to heap together precious memories, to hear once again his welcome - 


12.29
October 20 2014

Staunton Road
Havant

No comments:

Post a Comment