Tuesday 28 October 2014

Collecting pine cones ...




A few weeks ago, strong winds, remnants of Hurricane Gonzalo, swept across Purbeck - in our attic, the bats hunkered down, spiders spun their gluey nets - I lay in bed, dreaming of immense kites soaring up to the clouds - 

The next morning, I tipped the wood ash from the fire onto the ash pile - I thought of Bernie O'Shea, shaking his head - that's a poor fire he'd sighed - the next parish was in America - 

We'd been staying in a cottage, not far from Adrigole, a few miles away from Macgillycuddy's Reeks - 

Bernie's wife had died some years before - I spoke to her in a dream he said - but I got cut off

Pine cones were scattered all over the churchyard - 

Later, I lingered near the box tomb, picking up the fallen pine cones, torn from high branches by the winds -

Tonight I'll light the fire - I'll read Molotov's Magic Lantern warmed by hissing Apple logs - the pine cones will smoulder, then burst into flames - 


16.30
October 26 2014

The churchyard of St Mary the Virgin
East Stoke


 





No comments:

Post a Comment