Sunday 12 October 2014

Jay plays Autumn Leaves in The Crooked Book ...









This morning we drove to Boscombe, so that we could spend an hour or two in The Crooked Book

Vicky had recommended a visit - she knew, I think, one of the owners - I had gone there once, after the elfin Sharon Halderthay had put down her sinister instruments - 

We parked the shiny Golf in an avenue lined with mature trees - driveways led to large detached houses with silky lawns - 

By contrast, Christchurch Road was a louche exciting drag of electronic cigarette shops, Costcutters, nail bars, Primarks, Tesco Expresses and Wetherspoons pubs - 

I felt, all around me, the turbulent currents of precarious lives - 

Inside The Crooked Book, we ate banana cake and shortbread biscuits - 

Jay bought three novels by Nancy Mitford  - he considered buying a trilby - 

Anne discovered a small rocking horse - I gazed at the mad covers of foxed Sci Fi paperbacks - a glass case contained a stuffed bird with a wicked curving beak - 

Then Jay played Autumn Leaves upon an upright piano - 

I heard the beautiful chords whilst I was skim reading a space opera by Brian Aldiss - 

It was as though Jay had cast a spell - I wondered what beautiful spirits the music would summon - 


12.00
12 October 2014

The Crooked Book
Boscombe 

















No comments:

Post a Comment