Thursday 16 October 2014

Buying a Pirate's costume ...





We've been invited to a Fancy Dress Party this Friday - 

I dressed up once as Sir Percy Blakeney on New Year's Eve - I wore one of Anne's white foppish blouses, jodhpurs and riding boots - Anne went as the Holly and the Ivy - she wore green stockings -

The pub had a lock in - a wild eyed girl kissed me -  

But we're going as pirates this Friday - 

The fancy dress shop was a louche treasure house of costumes - I especially admired the trappings of the zombie nurse 

Anne bought a splendid black bicorne with a scarlet feather -

Anne suggested I try on the Buccaneer's Bounty outfit - 

I changed in the back room of the shop - there I was, in the mirror, barefoot, in stripy trousers, grasping a plastic cutlass - 

For a moment, I closed my eyes, imagining myself on a heaving deck, wreathed in smoke, scorched by a tropic sun - 

There were gold rings on my fingers - I could hear the huzzas of my murderous crew - 

13.00
October 13 2014

The Costume Shop 
Parkstone Road 
Poole



No comments:

Post a Comment