Tuesday 21 October 2014

Watching Terrence Fisher's Dracula ...







Last night, I watched Terence Fisher's Dracula - I have a shameful passion for Hammer House of Horror flicks - I can remember watching The Devil Rides Out when I was a teenager, sneaking into The Ritz Cinema with a packet of Players Number 6 in my pocket -

I had a ziggurat of Dennis Wheatley Arrow paperbacks beside my narrow bed  - I'd imagine beautiful vampire women sashaying down Bramber Road - I'd stare into the darkness, racked by delicious terrors - 

All this came back to me, as I watched Peter Cushing play van Helsing, staking a writhing temptress, grappling with the Count in a gothic chamber - 

I took no notice of the preposterous castle, the absurd dialogue, Michael Gough's weirdness - 

I was, once again, that wide eyed boy, devouring the occult adventures of the Duke de Richleau, haunted by the beauty of Lucy Westenra, listening for footsteps on the stairs -


22.30
October 20 2014

The Old School House
East Stoke





No comments:

Post a Comment