Wednesday 22 October 2014

Edward I gazes across the car park towards Scotland ...




The Greyhound Inn was closed - it was a Monday - we looked through the windows at the empty bar - I had a sudden craving for a pint of Pennine Pale - 

I pictured myself lifting the longed for glass - I'd be listening, perhaps, to one of Julia's stories - I wanted to hear more about Kathmandu -

I turned away disappointed - we carried on walking, skirting a car park -

A mighty thewed figure gazed over the car roofs towards Scotland - there he was, cast in bronze, the Hammer of the Scots, raising his torso slicing sword, his cruel blank gaze sweeping through the air - 


Outside the Greyhound Inn
Burgh-By-Sands

15.00
14 July 2014

Note

The statue is supposed to mark the spot where Edward I died from dysentery while waiting to cross the Solway Firth on 7 July 1307







No comments:

Post a Comment