Saturday 18 October 2014

Sunday afternoon at Studland ...








I walked barefoot along the beach, holding my canvas shoes - I felt the chill sand beneath my feet - from time to time shining waves washed over my toes - 

Bleached driftwood had been cast up by the sea - pelts of seaweed glistened in the pale October sunlight - a cataraman with white sails headed out towards the Solent - 

The water in the bay was a pale steely blue - one or two gulls flew inland, over the trees - already leaves were falling - 

I wondered if my dark red portillos marked me out as an oldster - 

This morning I'd gone to the gym - I saw a grizzled salt braving the Lat Machine - a nymph on the Running Machine was dreaming of Actaeon - 

Splashing through the waves, I thought of Coleridge - perhaps in The Middle Beach Cafe, I'd be transfixed by a glittering eye - 

15.57
October 18 2014

Middle Beach
Studland Bay
Studland

Note

Portillos are trousers, in primary colours, as worn by Michael Portillo 




No comments:

Post a Comment