Wednesday 29 October 2014

At the Alexandros Greek Restaurant ...



The taxi driver had little good to say of the Alexandros Greek Restaurant

The wine was corked he said, gripping the steering wheel of his Skoda - Barnsley slop

The four of us were on our way back to Boustead Hill, after our second night in the Courtfield Guest House - 

I'd grown fond of my attic room high above the Carlisle streets -

Now though, our journey was coming to an end - waves of elation, then of sadness, flowed through my heart - 

The walking's really come on the driver was saying - time was when the farmers didn't like walkers - I'd walk an extra five miles to avoid a bull - now they know the walkers bring in a line of money

But by then I was no longer listening - dimly I heard Alyson protesting that the restaurant was fine - I was recalling every poignant detail of our evening together there - 

We'd set off in the northern twilight, along Warwick Road, at ease in each other's company, laughing, sharing stories - 

I'd drunk Mythos Beer and ordered Kotopoulo Souvlaki - Alyson had poured out the bumpers of Rioja - 

The place was warm and crowded - there were pictures of temples and ivy crowned nymphs on the walls - Greek music was playing - 

In my notebook I later wrote we got quite merry - there was wistful talk of smashing plates - 

When we left the restaurant, Alyson and Julia danced out of the door - 

Penny said - soon we'll be going our separate ways

She spoke as true as ever - I imagined us all, in our different houses, apart when we had once been together - 


10.00
15 July 2014

In a taxi, approaching Boustead Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment