Wednesday 28 January 2015

Idling in the attic tea room ...







Penny and I climbed up three flights of stairs to the attic tea room - the wooden floor was like the deck of a stout bellied cog, its holds full of eccentric cargo - I'd glimpsed cabinets of pristine 1930s Dinky toys, a beautiful filmy cocktail dress, sombre clocks, prints depicting swaggering gamblers, reefs of Victorian poetry - a bronze shepherd boy shielded his eyes against an invisible sun - a naked Art Deco nymph struck a languorous pose - there was much to delight the eye - 

The walls of the tea room were decorated with leopard skins - Dolly the pug watched me eat a hazelnut biscuit - looking out of the window I saw clouds move across the sky - 

Later, I examined a foxed paperback of The Saint Overboard - the feverish cover depicted a deep sea diver's helmet - I wondered whether to buy a guardsman's tunic - 


12.00
January 28 2015

The attic tea room
Salisbury Antiques Market
Salisbury




No comments:

Post a Comment