Wednesday 21 January 2015

Coming across the February Railway Modeller ...



Whilst searching for coriander in Sainsburys, I came across a display of magazines - for a moment I considered buying the February Railway Modeller - perhaps photographs of intricately crafted model locomotives would ease my melancholy - the sky above gentle Wareham was full of cloud - Range Rovers swept through brimming puddles - a gnarled farmer's Barbour was pearled with raindrops - 

I remembered my first train set, laying the curved sections of track under the radiogram - the pale lino was cold against my cheek - 

I used to buy the Railway Modeller - I'd gaze wide eyed at the layouts depicted on its shiny pages - I'd save up my pocket money to buy an Airfix signal box - when I watched my tank engine go round and round, I looked so hard I saw steam issuing from its funnel, I dreamt so deeply I heard the voices of tiny engineers - 

I pulled myself together - later I listened to Paul's wry anecdotes whilst he cut my hair - it had stopped raining - I ignored the headline of The Daily Express - in Not Just Sundaes a woman sat in front of a thousand piece jig saw - 


11.58
21 January 2014

Sainsburys, Paul's, Not Just Sundaes
Wareham


No comments:

Post a Comment