Monday 5 January 2015

Cappuccinos with Mark ...



This morning, Anne and I had cappuccinos with Mark in Poole Costas -

The last time I'd seen Mark was in his classroom - restless boys were designing PowerPoints - before long, I knew, the bell would go for dinner break - Len and I would roam the playgrounds - I might be alarmed by a play fight - lion cubs, Mr Bradey Rod would say - lion cubs

Mark is now teaching the children of Egyptian pilots in Cairo - he was happier than I have ever known him - I listened enthralled to his stories of life in that ancient city - as Mark spoke, I pictured the young men with black flags, the stupendous antiquities, the teeming chaotic streets - 

Mark hopes to teach next year in Beijing - I felt once more, even here, in Falkland Square, with its mobility scooters, its dunkin donuts, the sweet lure of airports, the warmth of tropic suns - 


11.30
January 5 2015

Costas 
Falkland Square 
Poole





No comments:

Post a Comment