Wednesday 7 January 2015

Portland Bill re-visited ...






Whilst watching Bodyshockers: Nips, Tucks and Tattoos I had a craving to see Portland Bill - whilst I pored over the map, a bravo displayed his grotesque tattoos - I'd driven onto Portland some years before - I had vague memories of strange villages and driving rain - 

This morning, I set off with Penny in the red Peugeot for Weymouth - the soles of our walking boots were daubed with yellow mud from hollow ways

We looked down upon Chesil Beach from a viewpoint above Fortuneswell - the vista of wild sea and sky reminded me of a late Turner - I half expected to see the artist, stovepipe hat resting upon his visionary brow - 

We drove down narrow roads, lined with small stone houses - huge boulders littered treeless slopes - 
  
The lighthouse was only yards from the turbulent shore - dark rocks were laced with foam - three daring boys scaled Pulpit Rock - further out, halfway to the horizon, shearwaters and gannets skimmed the waves, seeking fish - a silver yacht danced with the wind - 

We walked past many sturdy wooden sheds facing the sea - a china plaque upon the wall of one shed commemorated a beloved aunt - 

Penny said this would be a small community in the summer

I Imagined sunburnt tipsy revellers, drinking cider, singing joyous songs - perhaps girls would swim in the summer sea when the moon was full - 

Strange rusty cranes along the cliffs caught my eye - 

Later, I met a former colleague in The Pulpit Inn - Val was now supporting prisoners in The Vine - 

After what we've done, we could talk to anyone Val said - 

I thought of Mark Raven-White - 

Your're right I said - 

12.30
January 7 2015

The Pulpit Inn
Portland Bill
Isle of Portland




No comments:

Post a Comment