Tuesday 6 January 2015

Looking at memorial tablets in Wimborne Minster ...






This morning, we drove to Wimborne - Anne had another appointment with her courtly dentist - in the waiting room of Mouthpeace there was a tank of calming exotic fish - I would watch their scarlet quivering fins - sometimes my boyhood dread of the chair would return - I would hear again the whine of drills behind closed doors, smell the hateful mask enclosing my face - 

But today I read memorial tablets in The Minster whilst Anne had her roots cleaned out

The brother officers of George William Hawtrey Bankes VC, Cornet 7th Hussars honoured his memory - I pictured the boy charging the sepoys, falling from a splendid hunter - 
   
William Fitch Esq gave pious testimony of respect for the dear memory of his ancestors - was the dust of his immediate offspring and their latest posterity mixed with his, I wondered, beneath my feet?
 
I tried to picture the life of the Rev'd Mr Harry Constantine - I imagined him reading a book of sermons, perhaps keeping a journal of the weather - 

Later, on our way back to the car, we passed the offices where Anne's former colleagues were still chasing numbers - she pointed out the window above her desk - I thought of all the hours we spend working, the counting cleverness, the terrible devouring of our time - 


12.00
January 6 2015

Wimborne





No comments:

Post a Comment