Tuesday 27 January 2015

Osmington Resurrection ...










Once inside the church, I felt as though I were at the bottom of a well, like the narrator in a story by Murakami, drifting away from one world to another - ancient shadows moved across the nave - I saw the initials MG carved into an icy flagstone - 

In the churchyard, box tombs contained delicate shards of bone - a gravestone depicted an anchor - new flowers were placed upon a fresh mound of earth - the ruins of a manor house were open to the cloudless sky - 

In a window an angel with green wings knelt in prayer - I imagined the angel unfurling his wings, I heard the sound they would make as they carried him through the air - pehaps a single perfumed feather would fall upon my head - 

Over the altar, Jesus raised Lazurus from the dead - I thought of Spencer's Cookham Resurrction - I heard the golden trumpet sound, I saw the shining bodies emerge from the heaving clay - 


13.00
January 23 2014

Osmington Church
Dorset 





No comments:

Post a Comment