Saturday 19 December 2015

"We need a good story" I said ...




Phil leaned forward, clutching his biro like a lictor his fasces - 

I was like that he said - I wanted things to get really bad - but they still didn't vote for Labour 

Politics is about stories I said - 

They have a good story Avril said - people still believe the story

I looked up - through the window, I could see the bay - the beach was a crescent of windblown sand - white waves broke upon dark tangles of seaweed - 

The room was dimly lit - bookcases were filled with scholarly volumes of economics and labour history - 

A biography of Rosa Luxemburg leaned against a life of Proudhon - 

We discussed the wording of our leaflet - 

I spurned the proffered copy of Drax Direct

My father turned against the Party because of something that happened in 1929 Avril said - 

I thought of the mean doors not far from this well ordered house, the German Shepherds barking in narrow hallways, the mobility scooter parked upon the unkempt lawn - 

I remembered Richard Drax shooting his cuffs at the hustings, his ancestral hall, his hunting pink - 

We need a good story I said - 


16.30
Friday 19 December 2015

Swanage 
Dorset 


No comments:

Post a Comment