Sunday 13 December 2015

Crossing Texas ...




On the way home from Salisbury, we stopped in Wool for some fish and chips - 

It was the first time I'd ordered a small cod small chips in Skippers Fish and Chips - 

A Chinese boy heaped up cod in battered ziggurats - 

Grizzled oldsters joshed each other - 

They wore dark green sweaters - lurchers guarded their land rovers - 

I was given a large cod by mistake - 

I remembered the fish and chip shop in Palmyra Road - 

I'd take a small chips home and watch Wells Fargo

Later, I'd draw a map of Texas, treasuring the names I copied from The Readers Digest Atlas - Houston - El Paso - San Antonio - 

I'd go bed, dreaming dreams that I was an explorer - 

I'd cross blue deserts, ford mile wide rivers, pass through ruined cities - 

I'd wear a white hat and discover marvels - 


19.30
Saturday 12 December 2015

Wool 
Dorset 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment