Thursday 3 December 2015

Crumpets and Truman Capote ...




After taking Tessa to Salisbury, I had a sudden desire for tea and crumpets - 

I pictured gentle firesides, coal scuttles, Persian carpets and mezzotints - 

Forgotten novels filled dark bookcases - upon the sideboard was a decanter of Marsala - 

Back in The Old School House, I spooned luscious glistening dollops of blackcurrant conserve upon my crumpets - 

I sipped my tea like an antiquary - 
 
I read an early short story by Truman Capote - 

There he was, on the cover of my Penguin, clear eyed, still willowy, possessed of ancient knowledge - 

I shuddered at the thought of Miriam -

But it's beautiful and I want it she'd said - 


17.30
Thursday 3 November 2015

The Old School House
East Stoke
Dorset




No comments:

Post a Comment