Monday 9 June 2014

Thinking about cricket ...


My mum was discharged from hospital yesterday afternoon - a porter wheeled her to the main entrance of the hospital - 

Soon the Ward was left behind - I remembered the old ladies, propped up on their beds - 

One confused old lady cried out every ten minutes excuse me lady

Sophie had come down from London to see my mum, and to be with her on her return to the sparkling house - 

We sat in the garden, drinking tea - my mum admired some roses - the tiny lawns were newly mowed - 

When we accompanied Sophie to the railway station, we passed the town cricket field - 

The sky was full of delicate cloud - 

The pavilion was shut up - I could see no sign of life within, only thin shadows - 

I thought of the game of cricket - I was quite distracted for a moment by a vision of a cricket ball, spinning through long grass - 

Soon Sophie would be returning to Bethnal Green, to her flat overlooking the Regent's Canal - 

A pale moon hung in the sky - 

6.02
June 9 2014

Havant

No comments:

Post a Comment