Saturday 28 June 2014

The door knocker shaped like a cherub ...



Yesterday, whilst loitering in gentle Wareham, I saw a door knocker shaped like a cherub - its calm face and delicate wings made me stop my dreamy wandering - I was reminded of the memorial tablets I'd seen in ancient churches, gracing silent villages -

I thought of all the doors I'd opened - there was the door to my house when I was twelve years old - there were the doors where desire bid me enter - there was the door to the hospital chapel - 

Some doors I'd dreaded - others I'd joyously thrown open - sometimes I'd seen things which still haunted me - 

How many doors, I wondered, do we have to pass through?

What will be the final door we open? - each door we go through brings us to the last -

11.00
June 27 2014

South Street
Wareham







No comments:

Post a Comment