Thursday 26 June 2014

The Austin-Healey ...


A sudden melancholy froze my heart yesterday morning - I thought of my mum's words in the Carers' folder - I like looking at my garden - I want to stay in my home

I pictured her, sitting by the French Windows - my dad would be saying I think I'll have a can -

I remembered the touch of her chilled fingers - 

I'd just come from the gym - I'd seen the old salt there - his wife is in Anne's yoga class - 

The old salt was chatting to a young god with tattooed arms - an Amazon was drinking water from a paper cup - 

I'd been lip reading the anguished words of the guests on The Jeremy Kyle Show -  

I finished my cappuccino - I could see the Crossword Gang - 

I walked down the High Street, past The Black Bear - 

But then, on the Town Quay, I saw an Austin-Healey 3000 - perhaps some summer visitor had parked it there - 

I suddenly, unaccountably, felt happy - I forgot, in an instant, all my sad cares -

I saw myself, donning ridiculous driving gloves, as though I were a character in a 1970's TV Series - 

I'd roar away, down narrow country roads, wearing a leather jacket - Anne would be wearing purple hot pants - Itchy Coo Park would be playing on the shiny radio -   

12.10
June 26 2014

Cafe Explore
The roof terrace 
Poole Museun




No comments:

Post a Comment