Tuesday 17 June 2014

The Two Rivers Walk, Sod's law ...




This morning, we went for a walk along the river - we'd met Penny on the town quay - she had her new binoculars with her - 

Tall grasses brushed our faces - nettles stung our ankles - we glimpsed, above the reeds, the bright masts of yachts, outlined against the sky - 

I heard the noise of an outboard - two strong limbed girls were heading downstream in a tender - 

We were shaded from the sun by birch trees - we shared the path with blue dragonflies - I could see tiny fish, thin slivers of scales and fins, swimming in the dark waters of the river - 

Soon, I'd drawn ahead of Anne and Penny - I was unable to see them, but I could hear their voices - 

I felt that the warm world was becoming chill and transparent -

That afternoon, the consultant would recommend an MRI scan - 

It's Sod's law he said - if we look for it we'll not find it - if we don't, it'll be there


5.39
June 17 2014

East Stoke







No comments:

Post a Comment