Tuesday 16 June 2015

The Hanger ...



One wild boozy summer in Winchester, I bought a foxed Everyman of Gilbert White's Natural History of Selbourne -  

I'd read his gentle words in between meeting Annick and preparing lesson plans - 

I still have the book somewhere on my shelves, perhaps between an anthology of Borges and a shameless Dennis Wheatley - 

I thought of Gilbert White when I walked through Wick Hill Hanger - 

Tall trees cast their green dreams upon the hillside - birds sang their beautiful ancient songs - 

The path led us to a deep hollow way - 

Richard and I walked each in our own silence - 

Under our feet were delving tree roots - 

Above the hill was the limitless sky - 


15.00
Wednesday 3 June 2015

Wick Hill Hanger
North of Selbourne






No comments:

Post a Comment