Thursday 11 September 2014

Windfalls from the apple tree, remembering first reading "Something Wicked This Way Comes"







Picking up windfalls from the apple tree, I remembered reading Ray Bradbury's beautiful spooky stories - 

The rotting beauty of the apples, circled by fat tipsy wasps, evoked within me the same feelings of horrified wonder - 

I collected up the apples, smelling their cidery scent, feeling their melting softness with my finger tips - 

My dad had first suggested that I read Something Wicked This Way Comes

I was eleven years old - I hid under my blankets when it was dark - spidery figures climbed the stairs - 

Recently, I found a foxed Corgi paperback of Dandelion Wine whilst sorting out my books - 

Its yellowed pages gave off a dizzying spicy scent - 

I gazed at it's dark cover and read a few pages - 

I looked up to see a witch made of wax, leaning out of the bedroom window - 

I knew that I could run as fast as a deer - 

This time I'd face the figures upon the stairs - 

I'd eat golden apples in my garden - I'd bathe in moonlight - 

16.36
11 August 2014 


Under the apple tree 
The Old School House 







No comments:

Post a Comment