Friday 12 September 2014

The Slovakian and his Aston Martin ...





We were asked twice during our northern jaunt where the Wall was

A Mondeofull of Australians stopped us near Pike Hill Signal Tower - the lean silverback at the wheel seemed to be dispirited - where is it ? he said - we suggested they go to Birdoswald - 

I watched the Mondeo until it was out of sight - I counted five white rugs inside it - 

I'd once driven a Mondeo filigreed with rust - that was in a different world, one in which I spent nights speechless with desire - 

The day before, as we came up to Willowford Farm, we'd heard the purring roar of a sleek landship - I caught sight of a shapely hull - 

A few moments later, a smiling rogue, sporting bluish black stubble, asked us where is Wall? - I am Slovakian -

But I was staring shamelessly at his girlfriend - I was beguiled - she could have featured in one of Burne-Jones' dreamy trippy paintings - perhaps she'd gone back in time, and he'd painted her as Nimue - 

Julia said crisply do you have a car?

Yes said the Slovakian I have Aston Martin

He glanced down at his Tag - I have time



Hadrian's Wall

No comments:

Post a Comment