Monday 29 September 2014

The tandem ...



We were walking down Swanage High Street, past eateries with distressed walls, galleries featuring pale abstracts, shops with raffish sun burnt bravos selling gleaming wet suits - 

We'd looked round the council chamber of the Town Hall - above the sombre mayoral chair was the legend Fear God, Honour the King -

I gazed at the bust of Thomas Burt - I stroked his frozen beard - 

We repaired to Love Cake - Sophie and I drank chai - Paul told me about his days as a reporter on the Scunthorpe Telegraph - Anne looked at Tessa's WhatsApps pictures from the Sydney Botanical Gardens - 

Later we walked past Smiths - we'd looked for mirrors there - the languid pirate inside had drawled these mirrors come from France

There was a mouldering spidery tandem resting against the shop window -  

I imagined Anne and I riding it - we'd fly over these stone tiled roofs - we'd surprise the swifts by our speed and daring - 


12.30
September 29 2014

Outside Smiths 
High Street
Swanage






No comments:

Post a Comment