Saturday 20 September 2014

Coffee in The Stag, Crosby On Eden ...



In my note book, I scrawled 12.35 - we're in The Stag, Crosby On Eden - Doris Day is singing bravely -

We'd left Vallum Barn conscious of the fact that our journey was drawing to a close - 

For a while we walked between banks of ferns as high as our heads - the curled fronds were like delicate shepherds crooks - 

In a churchyard we saw the grave of an eighteen year old girl - the carving of a tree with gentle waving branches graced her pale gravestone - 

I could not bring myself to take a photograph - I thought of my two daughters - my remaining life would be desolate and icy without them - 

Inside The Stag, there were low ceilings, soothing beer pumps and worn flagstones - 

We drank coffee in a dark snug - Julia told me about a carpet she'd bought in Kathmandu -

Frank Sinatra started singing 


12.35
July 13 2014

The Stag
Crosby On Eden





No comments:

Post a Comment