Thursday 25 September 2014

The first log fire of Autumn, 2014 ...





This evening, I'll light the first log fire of Autumn in the snug - the members of the book group will be meeting here, in The Old School House -

Anne chose the book they've just read, The Goldfinch 

I can remember reading The Secret History - I shuddered with feverish excitment at the thought of the bacchanal - 

Last week, I stacked seasoned logs in two piles against the wall of the Old School - secret empires of insects were revealed when I moved the logs from under the brambles and honeysuckle - 

In the garden shed, next to my bike wreathed with ivy, near a nest containing tiny mummified birds, I found a sack of fir cones - 

When the members of the book group are served chilled Prosecco, I'll light the fire I've laid - 

I'll hear talk about The Goldfinch - I'll sit with Tessa under her drawing of a tiger  - she drew it when she was seven years old - 

Tomorrow, we'll drive Tessa and Charlie to Heathrow - the white Singapore Airlines jet will fly them to Australia, half a world away - 

I'll feel that there is a flower with icy petals inside my heart - 


16.07
September 25 2014

The snug
The Old School House 
East Stoke








20.45


No comments:

Post a Comment