Thursday 18 September 2014

Early evening in The Old House at Home ...



We left my dad asking if anyone wanted to watch some television

Wycliffe is on he said - I'll put Wycliffe on

It was early evening - soon the curtains would be drawn across the windows of the lounge - my dad might tell me one of his navy stories - 

We slipped out of the front door of the house into Staunton Road - I saw the shimmering wings of memory hanging off my dad's shoulders - 

Three taxi drivers stood smoking outside The Prince of Wales

West Street was empty - St Joseph's would be hosting a car boot sale - 

We walked past the Meridien Centre - its glass doors were now closed - the CCTV screens showed only drifting snow  - 

We drank a half of Seafarer in The Old House at Home

I breathed in the scent of ale like a calming gas - 

I admired the worn brickwork of a wall near the bar - 

There were special meal deals available for the over sixties - 


19.00
September 4 2014

The Old House at Home
Havant 



No comments:

Post a Comment