Friday 1 April 2016

The day before ...



Tomorrow, we plan to celebrate my mum's ninetieth birthday - 

Granddaughters, sisters, nephews and nieces will gather in a village hall - 

Aunts will arrive with their posses of daughters - 

My uncle George will stare amazed at his Bellini

Jane and Den will keep an eye on my dad - 

I bet your dad falls over and we have to cancel Anne said - 

But it was me who woke up with a sore throat this morning - 

I've been coughing like a consumptive in Grub Street - 

An aspirin, not a brimmer, has been my only friend - 

Anne's making potato salad in the kitchen - 

I've written some words - 

They're not the words that one day I'll speak - 

On that day the sky will be different - 


19.49
Friday 1 April 2016

The Old School House
East Stoke 
Dorset 



No comments:

Post a Comment