Friday 29 April 2016

Making bean stew ...





I made a bean stew for dinner today - 

We'd got tired of Sainsburys sea bass - 

I'd remembered eating a bean and pork stew in Spain, just north of Mojacar - 

An expressionless woman served us the stew in chipped bowls - 

The hire car had a pelt of dust - 

But this stew contained not even the thinnest thread of chorizo - 

I bought the Borlotti and Cannellini beans in Purbeck Wholefoods

I saw Helene there, buying a small fistful of dried apricots -  

I crushed the clove of garlic with the blade of my clever knife - 

I stirred in the vine tomatoes whilst listening to Ethiopian jazz - 

I added black pepper and paprika - 

I lolled against the kitchen island, sampling my garlicky feast - 

I was startled by my reflection in the mirror - 

At last the stew was ready - 

Time, I thought, for big bumpers


18.30
Friday 29 May 2016

The Old School House
East Stoke 
Dorset 





No comments:

Post a Comment