Sunday 8 February 2015

The Vegetable Biryani ...



I gazed at the flat screens on the walls of The Rajpoot Tandori - beautiful women in blue saris were dancing in a temple, young gods sang passionate laments - the sky above the temple was awash with scarlet light - 

I waited for our vegetable biryani - two pale bravos waited with me - their Corsa was parked outside - they were drinking icy bumpers of Kingfisher - I leafed through a copy of Carpworld

The tall waiter told me that the card machine was out of action - I picked up our curry  - 

I remembered once buying a lamb dhansak  with Annick - we'd just reeled out of a shebeen - the floor of the desperate curry house spun round beneath me - she held my wrist to stop me falling - I felt her smoky breath upon my neck -  

Later we sat upon the floor of Annick's bedsit - I listened wide eyed whilst she told me of her adventures - the long night became day - 


20.10
7 February 2015

The Rajpoot Tandori
North Street
Wareham


No comments:

Post a Comment