Saturday 14 February 2015

Northumbrian pipes in Trinity Street ...



Idling yesterday in Dorchester, I heard the music of Northumbrian pipes - I'd just left Waterstones, with its bright reef of Sci Fi paperbacks - I skim read The Incredible Shrinking Man - I remembered watching the movie, wide eyed on the settee, shuddering as Scott fought off the loathsome spider - now, in my sixth decade, I still felt the same wonderful horror - 

I paused to listen to the pipes - the bearded musician could have led a band of border reivers - I imagined him astride a shaggy pony, snow upon his leather coat - behind him, smoke would rise in black feathers to a white sky -

I placed a coin in the case for the pipes - I was rewarded with a flinty smile - 


14.30
February 13 2014

Trinity Street
Dortchester








No comments:

Post a Comment