Thursday 26 February 2015

Captain Hawkins' melancholy memorial ...






Once inside the church, I stood still, aware of the stone beneath my feet, the welling up of time like water in a spring - I could sense the movement of the sun and moon above the tower, the passage of the seasons - 

I gazed upwards at the roof, imagining prayers rising there like smoky feathers - 

The walls were whitewashed - a painted wooden panel depicted a bearded king playing a harp - 

I breathed in the chill air, feeling it leave pearls inside my chest - ancient light filled the nave - 

The Bible was opened at Isaiah - I murmured the names of four kings of Judah, Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah

I stood before Captain Hawkins' melancholy memorial - 

I heard, even in this quiet valley, the sound of a tempest - freezing spray lashed my face - the church reeled upon a tumultuous sea - 


11.00
February 18 2015

Martinstown
Dorset 



No comments:

Post a Comment