Friday 6 February 2015

Small cod small chips ...



I walked down South Street - the pavements were empty save for shadows - darkness had fallen upon the gentle town - later a full moon would move across the sky - rays of pale light would pass through attic windows, illuminating cobwebbed rocking horses - 

I glanced across the street towards The Black Bear - I pictured the low ceilinged bar, the framed photographs of Edwardian gamekeepers, the twisting stairs leading upwards to the en suite rooms

There were only a few customers waiting for their mushy peas and scampi inside The Chipperies

Small cod small chips two pickled onions I said - 

Two bravos who'd been working on the gas had ordered battered sausages - 

I leant against the counter, watching the boy stir the chips - it was just after six fifteen - 

I snarfed my prize inside the Peugeot, listening to the end of the news - 


18.15
February 6 2015

The Chipperies 
South Street 
Wareham


No comments:

Post a Comment