Thursday 12 February 2015

Keats at Lulworth Cove ...



Whilst staring at the smouldering driftwood, I thought about Keats sailing to Italy - I'd always been a Coleridge man - but I'd loitered on the Spanish Steps, haunted by the poet's epitaph - 

I imagined the brigantine anchoring in the cove, Keats walking upon the glistening pebbles - 

The walls of the Lulworth Cove Inn were painted a Key West blue - we sat in deep leather arm chairs before the stove - 

I recalled the hateful reviews, Lockhart's cruel words - 

I drove Penny back to The Old School House, to meet up with Anne - 

Later, I listened to Mick Jagger singing I got silence on my radio

Keats would have liked Moonlight Mile I thought - 


February 11 2014

The Lulworth Cove Inn 
Lulworth Cove




No comments:

Post a Comment