Wednesday 18 February 2015

Remembering reading The Voyage of The Dawn Treader ...





Just before my cousin Mike phoned me, I was watching Eustace fall asleep on dragon hoarded gold -  

I remembered when I first read The Voyage of The Dawn Treader worlds ago - I longed to board the noble galleass, to dine with a fallen star, to see merpeople riding seahorses - 

There was a plan of the vessel on the front endpapers of my treasured volume  - a brave pennant flew from her mast - a lantern was suspended from the crows nest - the sharp prow cut through the billows of the Eastern Ocean - 

When Mike phoned me, Eustace had turned into a dragon - his scaly wings filled the flat TV screen - his boy's body was now hidden inside monstrous coils - 

I recalled how I'd felt whilst reading this book -  

I still could see the pictures in the magician's grimoire - I shuddered again at the thought of The Island Where Dreams Come True - I heard the sound of an enormous pair of scissors opening and closing - 


21.00
February 18 2015

The Old School House
East Stoke 
Isle of Purbeck 









No comments:

Post a Comment