Tuesday 22 March 2016

Visiting The Museum of Innocence ...




When I crossed the river, I knew that I had to think about my life -  

I made my way to The Museum of Innocence in Somerset House - 

Each case of wood and glass evoked a chapter of Orhan Pamuk's novel - 

Soldiers in dark tunics feasted amongst pine trees - coffee grounds filled a fragile cup - a small crowd gazed at a steamer with two funnels - government buildings were like austere temples - 

A drawer was filled with folded bank notes and family snapshots - the lamp from a louche cafe illuminated share certificates and tram tickets -  

Memory was like this, I thought, precious assemblages, tiny brightly lit worlds in the dark - 

I wondered what tender relics would illustrate my life - 

13.30
Thursday 17 March 2016

Somerset House
London







No comments:

Post a Comment