Tuesday 1 March 2016

The strange charisma of rogues ...



I'm reading Richard Holmes' Dr Johnson & Mr Savage

The Great Cham was beguiled by the gifted murderous scribbler

I pictured myself, walking beside them through the Whitehall night - 

All the money they could raise was less than sufficient to purchase for them the shelter and sordid comforts of a night cellar *

Like Savage, I walked with split shoes - I cloaked myself in Johnson's horse coat - 

I shrank from the bloody riot in Robinson's Coffee House

I reflected upon the strange charisma of rogues - 

I recalled the Hells Angel who had greeted me so courteously under a spiders web of ring pulls - 

He'll know what music you want Annick had said - 

The bearded colossus put on Peaches En Regalia

This is you he said - 


Note

* Sir John Hawkins, "The Life of Samuel Johnson, Ll.D", 1787, Page 18


15.14
Tuesday 1 March 2016

The Old School House
East Stoke 
Dorset 





No comments:

Post a Comment