Monday 21 March 2016

I would lie on freezing stone ...




I left the creatives sipping expresso machiatos on the riverside terrace - 

A police helicopter flew over the city - 

The ancient river fell with the tide - 

Homeless people begged for small coins on the Golden Jubilee Bridge - 

A woman with an accordion was moved on by two Police Community Support Officers - 

Where are you going now they asked her - where are you going now? - 

I walked along the South Bank, stopping my ears to sad songs - 

I stopped at the second hand book market under Waterloo Bridge - 

Japanese girls picked up Arrow Paperbacks - 

I bought a foxed blue Penguin - 

I'd long wanted to read The Quest for Corvo - 

The pages were as damp and cold as fallen leaves - 

I placed the book in my pocket, and crossed over the river - 

Clouds covered the sky - I shivered, imagining sleeping on the streets - 

I would lie on freezing stone, looking up at glass towers filled with light - 


12.47
Thursday 17 March 2016

South Bank
London



No comments:

Post a Comment